What to Pack

Here are some things you may need for living in Winnipeg.

The following is a list of recommended things you may like to have with you in Canada. It does not include items you may require for the classroom (backpack, pens, paper, etc.). Please make note of baggage limits and restricted items with your flight provider before packing if you are flying in directly from abroad.


  • Study/Work Permit (or Letter of Introduction from Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate)
  • Temporary Resident Visa (a TRV is required if your citizenship is from a designated country, see Citizenship and Immigration)
  • Proof of finances (bank statement or letter from supporters)
  • Acceptance letter from Providence
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Travel health insurance so you have health coverage until your first day of classes
  • Any necessary medical information and enough medication for you to use until you can see a doctor in Canada; this can take time so plan to have a minimum of a month’s medication
  • Plane ticket with confirmation numbers to allow easy check-in
  • A list of emergency contacts, including telephone numbers and email addresses
  • Shampoo
  • Soap
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Hygiene products
  • Warm clothing and a winter coat if you arrive between November and April. If you cannot purchase a coat in your country, contact the International Student Services Coordinator
  • Photos of your family and friends (optional)
  • Allowable food or snack items (optional)