Health & Insurance Policies

Health and Communication Policy

Upon arrival on the Providence Campuses, students with physical and/or mental health issues that have the potential to impact the classroom, residence halls, or anywhere on campus, are responsible to inform the appropriate staff, faculty, or students in a timely manner. Such individuals could include, but are not limited to, professors, the Academic Dean, VP of Student Life, Residence Life Director, Resident Assistant, students living within the same residence hall, Director of Food Services, etc. Ensuring that these individuals have the information and instruction needed if such a health issue would arise assists Providence in providing reasonable care for each student. The amount of information that a student provides to these individuals is subject to the nature of the health issue and what information is required in order for the institution to ensure that a pro-active care plan is in place should the issue arise. Students who have not recorded their physical/mental health issues in their application must inform Providence University College immediately through the Student Life and/or Admissions departments.

International Student Health Insurance

It is mandatory for all international students to purchase International Health Insurance, even if they already have travel health insurance from their own country. Please see your location’s specific student handbook for details.

Domestic Student and Permanent Resident Health Insurance

If you are a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident of Canada you must register with Manitoba Health. Health coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after your arrival in Manitoba. For example, if you arrive on August 30, August will count as the first month, with September and October as the following two. Therefore in this case, your coverage would begin November 1. When you register, you will need to:

  • Complete a Manitoba Health Registration Form
  • Provide your previous province’s/territory’s health card number
  • Provide proof of Canadian citizenship or Permanent Resident Confirmation Card

Until your health coverage begins you should maintain your coverage with your previous health plan.