Complaint & Grievance Procedure

Informal Complaint

A complaint relates to a concern or problem identified by a student, applicant, or other interested person. In most cases, the first step in a complaint is for the person who has been wronged to make a reasonable, good-faith attempt to resolve the problem informally in a direct conversation. Any member of Student Life staff can assist a student in figuring out the best way to address a concern they have with an employee or another student.

In cases where a good-faith attempt to resolve a situation has not been successful, or if the issue is substantial enough that the student feels uncomfortable directly addressing the situation, the form below can be used. We recommend that students do not directly address cases of serious harassment, discrimination, unethical conduct, or if the student fears retaliation or reprisal.

Formal Complaint

In cases where a resolution cannot be obtained at an informal level, the student may file a formal complaint using the form below. Once submitted, the form will go through the following process:

  • The form will be reviewed by the Vice President of Student Life. If you do not wish the Vice President of Student Life to see your complaint, please email the Dean of your school directly.
  • We will contact you to let you know the form has been received and the next steps of the process.
  • In most cases, the complaint will be forwarded to the direct supervisor of the person involved. In cases of harassment, discrimination, or sexual violence, the complaint will be dealt with by the Vice President of Student Life directly. In matters relating to the whole institution, the complaint may be forwarded directly to the president.
  • We will contact you to inform you of the next steps in the process and/or of the resolution of the complaint.

If you are attempting to appeal a grade you were given, please fill out the appeal form here.

To submit a complaint/grievance, please use the Complaint and Grievance Form.